On Nov. 24, 1946, the newly-federally recognized Colorado Air National Guard received a fleet of P-51s for use by the 120th Tactical Fighter Squadron.
The 120th was the first federally-recognized Air Guard unit, receiving this distinction June 30, 1946 – just after World War II. This preceded the Air Force, which was established in September 1947, therefore, the Colorado Air National Guard is older than the U.S. Air Force.
The Mustang was a fast, inexpensive, well-made, and highly-durable aircraft. The P-51D was armed with six .50-caliber, M2 Browning machine guns, and was powered by a supercharged version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine.